- Boiler & water column blowdown timing
- Boiler exhaust temperature
- Boiler pressure & temperature
- Burner flame for proper combustion
- Feedwater pressure & temperature
- Feedwater tank level
- Proper operation of control valves
- Water samples
- Water treatment systems
1. Safety of Personnel is on the LineCatastrophic failure of boiler equipment can severely injure the boiler operator and surrounding personnel. At every boiler maintenance check that Hays Service performs, we check the safety equipment connected to the boiler, such as safety valves, gas/fuel train valves, and others, to ensure they are not compromised. Having an expert scrutinize the boiler’s safety equipment must be done regularly, not just once a year.
2. Boiler System Inefficiencies Can Be FoundWhen your Hays Service technician is conducting the boiler maintenance check, one of the data points he will examine is the boiler operating pressure and temperature and the exhaust temperature. If one is significantly higher than the other, that is an indicator of system inefficiency with the control switch operation or burner combustion. If the boiler continues running despite the inefficiencies, tube failure will occur. Instead of paying for regular maintenance checks, the business owner will pay for equipment repair and an emergency maintenance appointment.
3. Thermal Fatigue and/or Thermal Shock Can Be AvoidedProper feedwater system operation is directly linked to efficient boiler system function. If the temperature or pressure is not where it should be, thermal shock or thermal fatigue may occur. Cracks may form in the boiler shell and dangerous vapors may be released, resulting in injuries to boiler operators and nearby personnel.
4. Combustion-Related Dangers Can Be DetectedCombustion-related dangers can be detected by checking the sight glass flame and adjusting it if necessary. When the sight glass flame is out of normal range, tuning or impingement issues can form. Further, water level issues must be addressed to avoid combustion-related injuries and equipment failure.
5. Taking Water Samples Provide ClarityWhen your Hays Service technician regularly checks water treatment equipment and examines water samples, he can pinpoint issues that could otherwise cause:
- Boiler inefficiencies
- Component failures
- Corrosion of boiler metals or steam lines
- Dangerous conditions
- Improper operation
- Increased amount of impurities
- Operational concerns
- Overheating of boiler tubes